Last Thursday night our dishwasher stopped working. Mark took it apart on Friday and thought it was fixed after replacing a part. It wasn’t. So, I have not had a dishwasher in a week. I was thinking this morning what a drag it is to hand wash dishes, and that got me to thinking about all the little things that I take for granted, but I am so grateful for.
Little things such as:
- A husband that can discern what is wrong with my dishwasher, and then fix it!
- A dishwasher. How did our moms and grandmothers and all the women before us stand it?
- Paper goods. We have been using paper plates and to-go cups for a week and still have a lot of dishes to wash by hand.
- The internet. Mark found schematics, how-to videos, and could diagnose and order the part all on-line.
- Priority shipping. Once the part was located (not in Dallas) we were able to order it and have it shipped and it should be here today! Hallelujah!
- A flexible job and understanding boss. When the part does arrive, my husband will be able to put take it apart and put it together again. He stayed home all morning to diagnose the problem last week and his boss understands that life happens and a wife that has a working dishwasher is a much happier wife.
- A dishwasher that needs to be fixed. Even though it is down right now, I do have a dishwasher that works 99% of the time. It is new-ish, and washes pretty well. It matches the stove and fridge and I am fortunate to, typically, not have to wash dishes by hand.
- My mom. She is here for a few days, and when I go out she washes dishes. She is kind of amazing like that. She loads the dishwasher too, when it’s working.
- This experience. I have taken the time to slow down and wash dishes, which has reminded me of the times I stood at my grandmother’s sink and washed dishes after family gatherings. Those times really do mean so much to me now. Just the feelings of love and laughter and being in the presence of so many people that I love so deeply, and many of them are no longer with me. It’s good to remember those times. To feel that again. All of it from simply standing at the sink and washing dishes.
What things are you thankful for that have just fallen in the framework of your life? Take a moment today to really see those things and thank God that he has put them in your life. Recognizing the little things will make your heart fuller.